-Principal and Founder
Mediator, Family Dispute
Resolution Practitioner & Lawyer
Phone: (02) 8379 1853
Zoë Durand has a wealth of experience, having worked as a lawyer for 12 years, primarily specialising in family law in a large national private practice law firm. She is an APAC Insider Legal Awards finalist and recently authored the highly publicised book Inside Family Law, recommended as a “must read” by The Honourable Peter Rose AM QC (former Family Court Judge). The book is on the recommended reading list for Family Law at several universities.
Prior to family law, Zoë worked at leading national and international commercial law firms giving her a financial acumen that is highly desirable in family law property matters. She has also worked as a Court Appointed Independent Children's Lawyer at Legal Aid, lending her an insight into the needs and perspectives of children, including in the most complex parenting matters.
From her experience in commercial firms, private practice family law and Legal Aid, Zoë has a way of connecting with diverse clients from all walks of life - from multinational corporate clients, to societies most wealthy, and also its most vulnerable individuals. In terms of legal issues, her broader experience also provides a distinct advantage in family law, where other areas of law often become relevant.
Zoë has access to a uniquely broad network of experts and professionals to assist clients through her work as an author and podcaster, interviewing experts and professionals who assist those separating and as the co-founder of a networking organisation which has hosted talks from family law Judges and Court experts.
Zoë’s other relevant experience includes:
• Nationally Accredited Mediator, Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner (FDRP), qualified Collaborative lawyer.
• Masters of Applied Family Law (College of Law), Bachelor of Law Degree and Bachelor of Arts Degree (first class honours) from UNSW.
• Currently a consultant family lawyer at Evans & Elliot Lawyers, Sydney.
• Years of prior experience as a family lawyer in a large national personal services firm acting in family law parenting and property matters.
• Court Appointed Independent Children’s Lawyer at Legal Aid.
• Volunteer at Youth Law Australia, providing legal advice to children.
• Previously worked at leading national and international commercial law firms K&L Gates and HWL Ebsworth.
Academic, Author & Speaker
• Author of Inside Family Law, containing interviews with Judges, Court experts, family consultants, barristers and other professionals and also firsthand experiences and children’s stories.
• Hosts the Inside Family Law podcast (www.zoedurand.podbean.com)
• Authored family law case notes for the NSW Law Society Journal, reviewing the latest family law cases.
• Featured for her insights on the ABC, Sydney Morning Herald, The Australian, A Current Affair, 9 News, 10Daily, Mamamia, 9Honey, The NSW Law Society Journal and Lawyers Weekly.
• Frequent key note speaker on family law.
• Guest lecturer in family law at UNSW, Faculty of Law.
• Inside Family Law is on the recommended reading list at many Universities.
Organisations and memberships
• Founded Women’s Nexus, a professional and business networking organisation for women, which has hosted talks from Judges and other leading Court experts.
• Member of the Family Law Section of the Law Council of Australia, the Women Lawyers Association of NSW, the Asian Australian Lawyers Association and the French Australian Lawyers Society.
• Zoë has Australian / Taiwanese Citizenship and French Permanent Residency. Her daughter and husband have French / Australian citizenship. She has a real life understanding of cross cultural issues in families.
Away from the law Zoë enjoys spending time with her family, yoga, and "binge" watching Netflix series. She loves to paint and has exhibited in Sydney, Melbourne, New York, London, Italy, the Louvre in Paris and in several major cities in China.
You can listen to her Inside Family Law podcast on Spotify or at www.zoedurand.podbean.com.
Mediation and Family Dispute Resolution services
Mediation Answers your dispute
Lvl 21, 133 Castlereagh Street
hone: (02) 8379 1853